Sunday, April 8, 2012

Strawberry Buttermilk Bundt Cake: Joy in doing less

I am about to begin week 3 of spring break in the Choi household.  Daughters have already had 2 weeks off, and truthfully the prospect of 3 weeks with the girls at home 24 hours did not appeal when the thought of 3 weeks spring break originally hit.  (Daughters both go to a year round school.)   I thought of the number of hours I would have to entertain them, tell them what to do, and how much time they would be on me, stuck to me, breathing the air around me and I began to feel the prickles go up and down my back.

But now that I'm entering week 3 of the break, I'm a bit apprehensive about the start of school.  After all - no school for them means I'm not worried about their homework, I'm not getting agitated over the lunches I'm supposed to be packing, nor am I bolting out of bed as early as I can in order to get THEM ready when they need to be ready.  I'm also not driving and doing three different pick up and drop offs, which I assure you is insane and almost makes me want to poke my eyes out on some days.  In short - I'm not doing much and I'm doing less.  I've had time to giggle with the kids, make them practice more piano, and enforce the learning of the times table of Daughter #1.

They've had time to draw more, read more, practice more, swim more, and lie down on the carpet and imagine their lives more.  They've made insane signs throughout house, including one which told me that I should get a job in a candy factory (I'm not sure what that was about) and made their own Easter Bingo Board.  (I'm not sure what that was about either.)  But they are doing less and doing more of play and it's been really refreshing and fun.

Truthfully with Daughters home more, and my having to do less, I have been much less in the kitchen and cooking.  We've been eating very simply, trying just to enjoy whatever foods we have, and although my work schedule hasn't really let up in the afternoon, I definitely notice the carefree aspect of Daughters and I have to say - there is JOY!

This cake came about on a whim when I had a plethora of strawberries sitting in the kitchen that were begging  to be used.  After making some strawberry juice, I decided to incorporate them in a cake and this is what I came up with.  It is really wonderful in texture, moist, light, and the strawberry flavor perfumes the entire cake.  There isn't need for much embellishment than strawberries cut in half and the lightest sprinkle of confectioners sugar.  This will definitely be a hit at any spring fling you have.

Strawberry Buttermilk Bundt Cake
Makes 10-inch bundt cake, serving 12 to 14

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
½ cup sour cream
½ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups diced strawberries

Confectioners sugar for dusting.

Method
Place rack in center of oven, and preheat oven to 350. Grease and lightly flour inside of 10 inch bundt pan.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

Using either a stand mixer (paddle attachment) or a hand mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar and beat at medium-high speed until the mixture is light in texture and color, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating for 30 to 40 seconds after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.

In a large measuring cup or bowl, mix together sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla extract.

At low speed, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with sour cream/buttermilk mixture.. (Add a bit of flour, a bit of sour cream/buttermilk mixture, a bit of flour, a bit of sour cream/buttermilk mixture, a bit of flour.) Once batter is fully mixed, remove from mixer, and carefully fold in by hand, diced strawberries. Carefully place batter into bundt pan.

Bake cake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then invert it onto another rack. Place the cake, on the rack, over a baking sheet.

Once cake has fully cooled, dust the top with a sprinkle of confectioners sugar. Serve.

Printable recipe

Joy in doing less, joy in this cake


my favorite bundt pan

5 comments:

Amy R said...

I just made this cake! I have never been known for making anything without a box mix. It turned out amazing! Not quiet as pretty as yours (my pan was a bit blah), but I am so happy with it! I am going to order the pan you used. I think this will be my go to dessert. Thank you for posting this one! Blessings!

Amy R said...

Opps... "not quite as pretty..."

simplemittens said...

I made this cake yesterday and we loved it! My husband hacked a huge slice for breakfast this morning :)

JessicaKetchion said...

I made this cake for my church and they loved it! it disappeared within 5 minutes. I'm in Australia and finding bundt cake recipes a little hard to come by (they're not very popular here) but i'm pretty sure i'm planning to make all your recipes. Thank you so much for sharing them on your blog. It's a true blessing :)

Michele K said...

My daughter wants a strawberry cake for her birthday next week...but since strawberry season is pretty much gone, do you think it would work to make this cake with blackberries instead?

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (4) bbq (8) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) beets (1) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (2) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (8) breakfast (25) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (5) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (7) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (17) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (42) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (2) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (14) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (11) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (2) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (37) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (11) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) miso (1) mochi (2) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (12) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (4) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (27) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) scones (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (20) simple (6) slaw (1) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (13) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (7) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (13) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (13) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (22) vegetarian (39) velvet (1) vitamix (3) walnuts (1) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)